Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I am not a great writer, so I'll keep this short and simple.

While I do not live in California, I witnessed what was happening with Prop 8 firsthand. The church I belong to has a belief that marriage should be between one man and one woman. It is fine with me that that is their belief. However, I was appalled when they began to use that belief as a weapon against others. I do not believe that I have the right to impose my beliefs on others. I do not believe anyone has that right. I believe that everyone has the right to believe whatever they wish, but when their beliefs take away anyone's basic rights that is wrong and immoral.

I wish my church hadn't gotten involved in Prop 8. Normally the LDS Church stays out of political affairs. It is not their right to impose laws on others based on their religious beliefs.

I wish my leaders hadn't asked members of their church to donate time and money to Prop 8. How much good could all of the time and money spent towards prop 8 could have done elsewhere? Like feeding the poor, consoling the sick, and countless other causes.

I wish my church could recognize its error and apologize for the oppression, fear, and hate they have sparked among members of my church.

I wish they could have seen you as people and not objects to fear and oppress.

I wish you could someday forgive me. I wish my voice could have had as much power as the leaders of my church's voices.

I wish you could someday forgive my church.

I wish I could someday forgive my church.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I cannot take away what my church has done to you.

I pray that you will be able to marry the one you love as soon as possible.

I love my husband. I am so happy we have the right to be married. I want you to have that same right because it is yours to have. I want you to have all the happiness in the world.

Love, Heather

2 comments:

  1. that moved me to tears heather - thank you. I am gay and resigned from the church in early july after this began. I have read the vitriol in the comments on the salt lake tribune from citizens that feel like their church has been unfairly singled out and that they are victims. Any protesting done for equality stays outside the temple doors (the holiest place) but prop 8 comes right into my relationship, into my bedroom, between my fiance and me. love is my holiest place. I am glad you seem to understand why we are so hurt and upset and the systematic effort of this church to invalidate our relationships and love, whereas most of the posts by mormon's i have read still call me a pervert who is victimizing their church and even their kids just by existing and being in love.
    shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, that was a great summation of my feelings as well.

    Shawn, let's you and I stop reading the SL Tribune. It is full of such nastiness from all sides and doesn't help anything.

    ReplyDelete