Saturday, November 8, 2008

A letter to the gay community

My brothers and sisters,


I am sorry for what my people did to you on Tuesday.


I am sorry that thousands of my people felt an imperative to strip you of your constitutional rights--and dignity. I am sorry that the tens of thousands of you who have married in California over the past few months now face uncertainty and anxiety as to the legal status of your union.


I am sorry that so many of my people directed vicious lies and accusations at you. I'm sorry that they could not look outside themselves and realize that your desire to marry stems from a commitment to--rather than a desire to "destroy"--love, fidelity, and family.


I am sorry that my people have apparently forgotten how much it hurts to have your constitutional rights denied because moral and religious majorities disagree with your lifestyle.


I am sorry that so many of my people chose to demonize and characiture you, rather than get to know you and try to understand you. I am sorry that they did this in the name of He who was sent to "heal the brokenhearted."



I mourn with you today. But I will fight with you too.

Your brother,

Steve
Active Mormon

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. Thank you so much for taking the time to find beautiful pictures and for submitting your letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moved to tears! I commend you for recognizing that action, and fighting for equality will be far more healing than apologies alone. Thanks for this contribution to the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are restoring my faith in Humanity, seeing evil for what it is and having the ability to recognize it.
    God is all things, God is both Male and Female..

    would we deny God Marriage?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete