Sunday, November 9, 2008

There was at least one Mormon in the woods of Southeast Texas who was also hurt

Everyone knows what the Church of Jesus Christ did this year to take away legal rights of Gay and Lesbian Americans. Everyone knows how much Mormons have complained about discrimination through their history.

I cannot imagine how much pain this process and decision must have brought so many of my fellow gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. However, I want everyone to know is that there was at least one Mormon in the woods of Southeast Texas who was also hurt by the outcome of Prop 8.

I am sorry that my church felt the need to fight against your rights. I am sorry that I felt powerless to do anything but tell others around me about how I felt. I am sorry that I feel powerless to make any difference for good.

On a night where for the first time in my adult life, I could truly say that I was proud to be an American, I had to come to grips with how far we still have to go to have liberty and justice for all.

Hal LaPray
Vidor, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment